help this blog grow!!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

NYR Available/Unavailable players for the deadline

Below is a rundown of Rangers players and prospects who I feel could be available for a trade if and when the Rangers do pull the trigger for a player not particularly Rick Nash.

Available: 
Christian Thomas: Growing concerned that there may not be anywhere on the top 6, let alone top 9 on the Rangers to put this kid once he's ready. Thomas is a definite top 5 NYR prospect and will be the biggest prospect thrown in a possible trade.

Artem Anisimov: I know this kid has a following in NY similar to the following Dubinsky has, but I'm not sure how much better Anisimov can be. You would think playing with Gaborik and Stepan for about half of the season would net him better statistics but he only has 10 goals and 18 assists. If Anisimov is just going to be another 40 point player for his career you move him for a bigger piece.


Stu Bickel: Nice defensive defenseman who would be claimed off of waivers in a heartbeat if the Rangers were to waive him, and secondly Bickel provides a physical presence on the blue line which is normally an attractive trait to have come deadline time.

Other Rangers I feel could be available: Carl Hagelin, JT Miller, Dylan McIlrath, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Mats Zuccarello, Wojcek Wolski.

Unavailable:
Chris Kreider: Just the time the Rangers have invested waiting for Kreider to declare himself for the NHL is not worth the chance that if Kreider pans out, I believe he will be better than Rick Nash. The only way I would ever move Kreider is if it means Ovechkin, Crosby, Datsyuk or Stamkos coming back the other way.

Marc Staal: The fact that I even have to write this is quite frankly absurd. He is still the best defenseman the Rangers have and needs the upcoming offseason to fully recover from his concussion. He will be the Marc Staal we all know is lights out against the best in the NHL given the time to fully recover. The simple fact that he's on the Rangers third pair at the moment goes to show the ridiculous amount of depth on the Ranger blue line.

Brandon Dubinsky: I left Dubinsky last for a reason. I've given it thought as to whether the Rangers should move Dubinsky in a trade to Columbus for Nash and I decided against it. Someone brought up on my twitter awhile back that the reason why Dubinsky isn't scoring this year is because there currently isn't any pressure on him to do so. While that may be the case, I don't think that is the direct reason to Dubinsky's early season slump, I believe his new contract may have had something to do with his struggles out of the gate which snowballed on him through the early part of the schedule. At his best Dubinsky is a 60 point player, who is instrumental to the Rangers in the locker room as well as the Rangers top 5 PK unit. While I wouldn't be opposed to trading Dubinsky in the future, I would be against trading him to Columbus for Rick Nash.

Rick Nash to me is in the bottom tier of the elite NHL'ers. I'd still rather have Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards over Nash any day to lead my team to a potential Cup. Hell, I'd rather have Zach Parise than Rick Nash knowing how bad former Devils have played in NYC and at least you don't have to trade the toilet and kitchen sink for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment