help this blog grow!!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Today's the day... plus quick draft review

Starting with the draft first, I was shocked when the Rangers took JT Miller with the 15th pick. I had came across his name briefly when I was doing my research for my draft preview post. Alot of what I saw had him going bottom of the first round. Even some of the mock drafts I saw didn't even have him in the first round. So I can imagine alot of Ranger fans were initially unhappy with the pick. But when you look up a little more on him, this kid has enormous amounts of potential. He's a good 2 way center, responsible on defense, and very strong on the puck. He won the gold medal for the US WJC U18 team this past year and is committed to playing NCAA hockey next season for North Dakota. Hopefully he can carry over what he accomplished towards the end of his U18 season to the college level and perhaps we'll see him 2-3 years down the road in the AHL. Sometime over the weekend I'll quickly go over the Rangers remaining draft selections including someone who really has been attracting attention at the prospects camp this past week.

It's currently 10:45 am, 75 minutes to go before the fun begins.

One last thing before I wrap this up, I was disappointed to hear that Chris Drury was bought out by the Rangers yesterday. I've been a big fan of his and it was unfortunate that outside of his first season in New York he was never the same guy we saw in Colorado and Buffalo that made him who he was. Now with Drury's contract off the books and the extra 3 million plus towards the cap, Sather better not let the extra cap room go to waste with the impending FA period about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment